Monday, August 22, 2011

Embrace the Chaos

When Ashleigh was younger, we lived on the US Navy base in Rota, Spain. Our house was about 3-4 doors down from the school, so her friends practically lived at our house. There was an endless stream of pre-teens eating our food like locusts, watching our television, playing with Carley, and all hugging me and calling me their "other" mom... I loved it! Ashleigh had wonderful friends; all very polite, funny, and respectful. None of them minded when little Carley wanted to follow them around once in a while, even though she was only 3 years old. I loved that I knew where my daughter was, and I loved that all of her friends felt comfortable in our home.

Since then, circumstances being what they are, our house has been very quiet. We no longer live on a military base, next to the school. Ashleigh has gotten older and drives to see her friends instead. Our family has delt with cancer, divorce, and various other stresses in life. We seem to have lost the wonderful chaos of having children constantly streaming through our lives... Until this weekend.

Chuck's sister has a pre-teen that is the same age that Ashleigh was, when we lived in Spain. Now her friends are often around. Her younger brother also has friends over on a regular basis. The children attend dance and gymnastic classes, boy scouts, and various other activities. They are always on-the-go. Their mom worries because she would like to go back to school, and get a job outside of the home, but I say BRAVO to her! She is doing an amazing job raising these children to become some of the happiest kids that I have ever seen.

Now, since I haven't had this wonderful chaos in my life in about 7 or 8 years, I have gotten into my own routine. I am accustomed to quiet, peaceful evenings. I am used to being able to watch a tv show without looking around someone to see it. I have gotten older, and developed my own habits. SO, I have a choice to make, living in this new place:

I can be annoyed with the constant stream of noise, confusion and chaos (which would only make ME unhappy, because it isn't going to stop)
(or)
I can embrace the chaos, and sit back and watch all of these noisy kids develop their personalities right in front of my eyes!

Just as I've seen these two children grow taller, and have their personalities develop more and more over the past 3 years since I've known them, I look forward to seeing them grow even more, developing into young adults. They are both smart, funny, and energetic kids, just bursting with excitement for life. How could I ruin that by asking them to "keep it down" in their own home? I think that if I need peace and quiet in my life, I will put on my running shoes, grab the dog, and go for a walk. Meanwhile, I fully plan to Embrace the Chaos that is becoming my life.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, chaos is my life too. It's fun and exciting but it is why I turned into a runner! Nothing beats taking a quiet path after the constant noise!

    ReplyDelete