Thursday, August 16, 2012

Jesus, Take the Wheel

Sometimes you just need to pray. Life seems to be going just fine, and then all of a sudden, the phone rings... You take a step back and maybe reevaluate where you’re headed and how you’re getting there.

I received just such a phone call today. It turns out that a close relative of mine is having a stint put in tomorrow morning. I realize that over time, this procedure has become a "routine" thing, but routine or not, I'm still going to worry!

So, after the phone call, I hit my knees, and took some time to bow my head and have a talk with God. I know that worrying about this surgery is not going to help... in fact there is absolutely nothing that I can do to change the outcome at this point... so the only thing left was to pray.

As long as I was down on my knees, I took the time to be thankful for all of the blessings in my life, and say prayers for some of the other people that I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by. It had occurred to me that it had been far too long since I had actually just spent some time focusing on spiritual matters. I was due, and it felt good.

Then, on my way to work, I heard a song that always moves me to tears, no matter what state my life is in at the time... "Jesus Take the Wheel," by Carrie Underwood. I felt like it was a message, letting me know to just trust in Jesus, and everything will turn out ok. So, instead of stressing and worrying about my loved one tonight... I am stepping back and praying that God take care of him and keep him safe.

Anyone that is reading this, if you wouldn't mind setting a clock/alarm for 9:20am tomorrow (EST), please take a moment to say a prayer for my family member. It would mean so much to me..!! Thank you.

P.S. I've added a link to the song if you're interested...
 Jesus, Take the Wheel

3 comments:

  1. I missed your post but am praying that everything went well! You are right...worry doesn't help! But Faith does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did the surgery go?
    Good post. Often times, we worry about that which we cannot control. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The surgery went well. He ended up having two stints put in, instead of just the one. The doctor said that if they had waited much longer, they would have had to do a bypass instead, so it sounds like he got in there just in time. My Mom said he was fine, because she went into the recover room and he had one arm bandaged from where they went through to put the stints in, and a blood pressure cuff on the other arm... and was fighting both, trying to eat a ham sandwich! lol.

    They kept him overnight, and went to release him the next day, but his blood pressure went way up. They hadn't given him his medication for his arthritis, and being a farmer all of his life, his back was killing him. So, that may have had something to do with it. Once they got his blood pressure back to normal, they sent him home. He's been doing fine ever since.

    Thanks for asking about this... Since I live so far away from my family, and don't get back to Michigan to see them that often, I think I worry even more when something like this happens. The best I can do is trust in God and pray that everything comes out alright.

    ReplyDelete