Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Finding the Right Words

About a week ago, I learned that a friend's husband passed away. He had been sick for a long time, and he reached the point where he wasn't able to fight any longer. My friend has a little girl, and they are now going through the grieving process. Although they knew that he was very sick, it is still a very difficult thing to deal with, no matter how much "preparation time" they may have had. I felt so much pain for her loss, yet I had no words to adequately express myself to her. All I could come out with was, "I am so sorry."

In addition to that news, another friend of mine told me that one of his friends had committed suicide this past weekend. I didn't know that person, but I could feel the pain that my friend was feeling. {As some of you may know, a friend of mine tried to do the same thing about a year or so ago. Thank goodness he wasn't successful.} There are so many confusing, unanswered questions with suicides. It is so much more difficult to find closure here. Upon hearing the news, I was faced with the difficult position of trying to find the right words... do the right thing.

It seems that no matter where I go in life, and what things I go through, I still have no idea what the right thing is to say in these situations. I feel terrible, but I am keenly aware that no matter what comes out of my mouth, it will not make the pain go away. So, in knowing that, I feel at a loss. I feel awkward with anything that comes out of my mouth.

Am I the only person like this? Maybe nobody really knows how to adequately express their deepest condolences... or maybe it's just me.

When I went through cancer, people always had very nice things to say, and although it didn't change my situation, it was so comforting to know that my friends and family were there for me when I needed them. Even after all of that, if someone tells me that they are going through something similar, I immediately jump into "take action" mode and start asking about surgeries, hospitals, tests, chemo, radiation, and so on. I completely skip the "I'm so sorry" stage because it feels weird to me. I never wanted anyone to feel sorry for me, and so I refuse to feel sorry for someone that is capable of fighting. I have no idea if that is wrong! But, I am more equipped (mentally) to help with the "let's fix this problem" stage.

So, at least there, I feel somewhat helpful. When there is a death, I haven't got a clue. My friend whose husband passed away lives too far away for me to be able to make the funeral. I sent my condolences... although I don't feel like it was really adequate. I will be attending a memorial service with my other friend tomorrow. Although I didn't know the person that is now gone, I feel like it is the best that I can do to support my friend.

I don't know what words I will find tomorrow. I am hoping I won't be too awkward... but mostly, I just want to be there for my friend when he is feeling such a loss.

Meanwhile, I am saying prayers for the families and friends of the people that have passed. Time will help heal the open wound, but those loved ones will always be missed. Hopefully, they will be able to find closure in the best way possible.

3 comments:

  1. Wookies say it best with "Arrrgh brrrrrr Grrrrrrrrrr"
    Vulcans, too say it well with, "I grieve with thee!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a great point that is often at issue. Sometimes the best advice is no advice at all. Sometimes all a person needs is "I'm sorry" and a shoulder to cry on, or hand to hold as they walk through the muck. I've had some Christian brothers and sisters try to tell me, "God works everything out for the good of those who love Him", or "God has a plan in all of this." I agree, but it's not very helpful during the pain. The best help I've received came from an older, godly friend who simply said, "Mike, I don't know. I'm so sorry." as he stood there and cried with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often struggle with the "I'm sorry" standard too, and I know how it feels to lose someone close to you, tragically, and from suicide. Yet, I still feel uncomfortable even while understanding some of what they are going through on a basic level. The thing about grief is that no matter how much we are comforted, there are still parts of it we will have to journey through alone. Just knowing you care is comforting, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete