Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Steelers & Michael Vick

First thing this morning, my boyfriend posted a link on my facebook page, stating that my beloved Steelers had signed Michael Vick as a backup quarterback to Ben Roethlisberger.

I love my Pittsburgh Steelers.
But...
I am also an animal lover.
I like dogs better than most people.
If my pup doesn't like you, you can believe that I'll trust his opinion.

So, my first reaction?
"Please tell me this is a joke."
It wasn't.

So, I actually spent quite a bit of time thinking about this today. I considered boycotting my favorite team... the very idea kills me.
I considered just leaving the room when he plays, but what good would that do?

I know in my heart that somehow, I need to come to terms with this... or find a new team. Well Option Two was out of the question, so I started reading more on what Vick has been up to besides the NFL since the whole dog fighting/jail time incident.

Here is one of the articles I started with...
The signing of Michael Vick shows divide of Steelers Nation

In this article, it talks what he has done to try to redeem himself, including working to pass the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act in Congress, thus winning him the Ed Block Courage Award, voted to him by his Eagles team mates.

Well good for you. Your friends think you're great.

More info on that:
Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act

Well here's the thing. I do think his efforts should be commended. Good for him for trying to do what's right. But I'm a skeptic. Is it all for show? Or is it actually coming from someplace deeper?
Has he had a true change of heart?

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.
Once a pedophile, always a pedophile.
Once a gambler, always a gambler.
Once an animal abuser, always an animal abuser.

He may not act on his "old ways" any more, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. Anyone to have the cruelty in their heart to do what he did is not someone I can be a fan of.

So, all I can do now (since the Steelers didn't ask for my personal opinion before signing) is to hope that nothing happens to Ben... pray they find someone besides Vick before Ben retires, and hope that Vick continues to stick to his path of proving to the world that he's not an all around bad guy.

We shall see. Maybe I'll have a change of heart, too.

Until then, GO STEELERS! And GO BEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment