Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Body Stereotypes

As many of you probably know, I had lost about 40 pounds in the beginning of last year. This year, I'm working on improving my overall strength, especially my upper body. In May, I will be taking part in the Tough Mudder obstacle course with some teammates, which is about 10-13 miles long.

As I am working on getting myself into better and better shape, I notice that a lot of the muscles that I had while growing up are starting to return. It's like my body already knows how to develop strength... I just haven't pushed it in about 20 years.

(A little background... I grew up on a dairy farm, so I always helped bail hay, carry buckets, lift bags of grain, etc. Because of my upbringing, I was pretty strong for a girl of my age.)

So, thankfully, my body remembers being strong and I'm getting back in that direction.

While spending all this time at the gym, I also do research on eating healthy, proper food choices, vitamins and supplements, etc. I also have "liked" a few pages on Facebook that show other women that also work hard and are proud of the improvements that they have made with their bodies.

Personally, I love being strong.

I love the independence that it allows me, especially since I have a mostly-guy dominated job.

I don't, however, wish to become a body builder that sprays their tans on and stands in front of a crowd in a bikini and flexes. To me, those women have over-done it and are no longer feminine. While I do want to see stomach muscles ripple and my calves move when I walk... I don't want to look like that.

Basically, I am trying to find a happy medium. I just want definition without losing my "girlish figure."

I am posting a picture of what I feel I would like to look like. You can see the girl's muscles, but she's not all veiny and body-builder-ish. To me, she is still very sexy and feminine... I have, however, had different men tell me that she's not attractive and that they don't want someone with "that many muscles."

Please post your opinions... I look forward to reading them!

5 comments:

  1. Yes she is attractive and there is nothing unsexy about being physically fit. I do agree that body builders (male & female) reach a level of over development that makes them unattractive. I really liked this blog entry and I appreciate your journey as I am on my own. In the last year I have lost 45 pounds and I will be participating in the L.A. Marathon next year. Good luck to you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're looking for fitness model fit, as a goal. They have contests for that too but the women are still women. I think it's beautiful. Besides, you are doing it for you and your health, right? Not so other people think you look good. There is nothing more beautiful than feeling beautiful. IMHO guys who are grossed out by strong women are questionable. Are they grossed about by smart women or women with really powerful jobs too? Because, if they are, I don't think you care what they think anyway. xoxo Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you for your feedback...I think I am definitely above feeling intimidated by anyone not attracted for me FOR ME, no matter what I decide that my body shape and size should be. I agree, I am looking for model fit. I appreciate the feeling of strength and the independence that I feel because of it!

    HaboneVS22, Congrats on your loss so far! I know you'll do great in the LA Marathon. I can't wait to hear about it!! Sending hugs to you both! Thanks for your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great. I'm on that journey too...and often, I'll see a pic of someone who is a good goal for me, and what I'm starting to turn my body into, and people will comment on it with their opinions...and you just have to remember, those are THEIR opinions. THEY are not there at the end of the day or first thing in the morning looking in the mirror at YOU and YOUR body. Do what makes you feel good!! If you have a partner that loves you, they'll love you for you, and they'll love the amazing change they'll see in you, health, confidence, general well being. Do you girl, keep kicking ass! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed! I think she looks amazing. I have personal goals and that is all that matters. :)

    ReplyDelete