Thursday, September 29, 2011

Childish Enthusiasm

Alright, people... It's time to break out the Party Hats!!
My birthday is coming up on Tuesday.
I will be turning 36 years old.  

My whole life, I have always heard that people "should not ask a woman her age." Whatever. I can't change time. I figure that considering all of the things I've been through, I am doing pretty well for my age. In fact, it seems that no matter how old I get, I still get excited about my birthday.

I joke around about it being a National Holiday (still working on that),
but really... I am just excited that I've made it this far. 
I've been to a lot of places, but there is still so much more to do!

That is why, every year, around the end of September,
I start telling people that my birthday is coming up.
Yes, I act like a child.
Why not? I'm not hurting anyone!

Although I've run out of fingers to hold up to show people my age,
I still love to hear the words, "Happy Birthday!"
I love chocolate cake and ice cream.
I love loud music, sugar highs, and adult beverages.

I enjoy gifts, but for me, that isn't what my birthday is about.

I just want to celebrate!
I want to do something fun!
Just for one day, I want to stop worrying about money.
I want to forget being responsible.
I want to grab life with both hands and enjoy the wild ride for what it is.

I still dream of skydiving, racing cars, flying fighter jets, riding bulls, and fighting fires.

For one day, I just don't want to feel bogged down by the everyday stuff that life consists of.
I need to embrace my childish enthusiasm for living!!

Unfortunately, because I am turning 36 years old, and my birthday landed on a Tuesday, I still have to be the responsible adult that I don't want to be.

I'll get out of bed, pour my coffee and drive into work.
I'll spend the entire day answering the phone; just wishing the people on the other end would just acknowledge that it is my birthday.
Seriously, how could they NOT know???
I'll do my job until 5pm, and then drive home.

But after 5:00... LOOK OUT WORLD, BECAUSE IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!

I hope that when your birthday rolls around, you don’t hide that fact, and lie about your age.
We all have amazing lives that should be embraced.
Every day is a gift to be cherished.
Of all days, your birthday is a day to celebrate.

So, the next time people laugh at me for being so excited about my birthday, I’m just going to look at them and ask, “Aren’t you excited to celebrate your life? Because, I’m excited about mine!!”

5 comments:

  1. **IMPORTANT UPDATE**

    Oct. 4th is also the birthday of my awesome, amazing, cool, smart, beautiful, cousin, Danielle...

    (All the more reason to make it a national holiday!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another shout-out...

    Happy Birthday (Sunday) to both Alan & Will.
    Happy Birthday (Monday) to my friend Nicole.

    Hope you all celebrate in style, like the Libras that we all are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am same the same. I love my Birthday! Happy 36 to you!!!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete