Monday, August 26, 2013

I Finally Get to Eat!

When I was a kid,  I loved to collect all of the frosting flowers that nobody else wanted to eat off of cakes at parties. They could keep the cake,  as long as I got to eat frosting! Then one day,  one of my family members looked at me and said,  "Someday you won't be able to eat like that."
I was crushed.
My whole life after that point, I have been paranoid about becoming obese. Heaviness runs in my family, and I see the discomfort and health issues that my loved ones face. I am aware that it would be a lot easier to keep the weight off than it would be to try to get it off later.
Because of this fear, my weight has fluctuated from 145 to 165 for the past 10 years or so... even getting as high as 175 for a briefly depressed time. My way to deal with the issue has always been to cut out sweets, eat a lot less of the healthy food, and lots of running. It works to an extent. I always manage to make it back down to 145 before I level out and I can't live another day without ice cream!
I am currently hovering around the 150-155 range. I look in the mirror and hate how I look. People "my age" are actually starting to give excuses:
◇The older you get,  the harder it is to lose. ◇We can't stay young forever.
◇Pregnancy ruins your body forever.  You'll never get it back.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I don't think of myself as old. I don't have joint problems. My bloodwork from my last physical was on point. There aren't any chronic aches or pains, so I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to reach my goal. It's just time for a new approach!
So, I have some friends that are into the personal trainer thing... Unfortunately, it is not within my budget. Then someone told me about Bodybuilder.com and I decided to check it out. This is a pretty cool site for someone like me, who is still pretty much a novice. It gives meal plans, 12 week workout routines with the trainer of your choice, supplement suggestions and info, countless articles and forums, and even a section to track your own progress and get to know other people on the same road... all for Free!
Yep. True story.
In addition to all of that, I have a boyfriend that wants to get himself into a healthier lifestyle, and he encourages me to do the same! For once, I don't feel like I'm by myself in this! He encourages me to go to the gym with him,  helps me learn about supplements, talks with me about exercises...
I finally feel that at the "ripe old age of almost-38," I will finally have the support and tools I need to get into the shape that I have always wanted to be in. I have never been more excited about health and nutrition than I am now!
Speaking of nutrition, this new meal plan has me eating all the time (that is how it feels). As I said, what I had done in the past included cutting way back on calories. So, what you are telling me is that I am changing my lifestyle for the better and I'm STILL ALLOWED TO EAT??
Shut the front door! I think I'm going to like this....
Just in time, too, because I just signed up for my second Tough Mudder!

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm super duper proud of you...and if you ever want to bounce anything off me, I'd be happy to share what I'm learning from my trainer and team...love your face, and keep it up! 37 is a GREAT age, I feel better than I EVER have...happy to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you really motivate me. I am at 175, live in da burgh, and for some reason, we look very much alike. Could you train me? I am excited that I get to eat alot on this program, wow!

    ReplyDelete